Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My Town by Stacey


Welcome to picturesque Palouse, Washington!

(photo from visitpalouse.com)

My husband and I fell in love with this town while house hunting about 6 years ago. As luck would have it, we purchased our 4-bedroom farmhouse, built a brand-new business, gave our little boy a sister, and have continued to fall more in love with this town every day.

Without further ado, here are my Top Ten favorite things about Palouse:

1. The Bluegrass Festival


This fun family-friendly music festival is held annually on the last Saturday of July.

My husband John, our niece Elle and me

Me and my sister Kristin

John and our daughter River

My sister Kelley and her daughter Elle

Sisters Creed has had the pleasure of being vendors at the Blue Grass Festival several times.


2. The sense of community spirit


From Easter egg hunts to cleaning up open spaces...from St. Patrick's Day celebrations to building a new community center, this town's community spirit soars!!

3. The Saturday night-reservation only-gourmet dinners at the Bank Left Bistro


The romantic atmosphere complete with fresh flowers, vintage linens, glassware and silver is incredible. The impeccable flavors, courses, coffee and wines make my foodie heart sing! We are lucky to have this restaurant in our tiny little town.


4. My book club

I adore this group of women--of various ages and professions--who gather once a month to discuss our passion for literature. This year we are challenging ourselves by selecting books written before 1965. My Antonia, Dune, The Bell Jar, Confederacy of Dunces, The Hobbit...to name a few.

5. The flora and fauna

The rolling wheat fields and pine trees, the landscape and river that envelopes our town is simply breathtaking. I have seen so many beautiful sunsets and falling stars in the 6 years we have lived here. Check out the talented local photographer Alison Meyer's website to see some of the scenery in our area: www.alisonmeyerphotography.com


6. Heidi Kite's annual Palouse Christmas Antiques Sale



My Mom, sister and I have been vendors at this sale for the past 5 years. We love setting up our booth, greeting old vendor friends, and connecting with people in town. There are always tons of vintage and thrifted treasures to be found.


7. The Lions Club Hamburger Cart



The Lions Club is always selling burgers at every town function, and their burgers are the best! I have to give a shout out to the hard working guys that run this cart, volunteer their time, and donate money to many many worthy causes around the area.


8. The City Park



This park is absolutely beautiful, with tall shady trees that are perfect to spread your picnic blanket under. Recently a local non-profit group raised enough money to purchase and install a brand-new play structure and swings. It is awesome--our kids love to come and play here.

9. The Green Frog


Their coffee and food are delicious. My favorite? The grilled cheese sandwich on Wheatberries bread, the creamy potato soup, and a shortbread cookie dipped in chocolate and sprinkles. Divine!!

10. St. Elmo's Antiques store




I love to go into this store for inspiration. It is such a beautiful little shop. I love to find cool and unique gifts for my mom, sisters, and sisters-in-law.

There you have it!! Come visit Palouse, Washington!!

***Edit by Kristin: I CRAVE the Viking Sandwich from the Green Frog. It is THAT good!!**

1 comment: